Saturday, June 2, 2012

inspired by: the artwork of maureen brouillette

I happened across the art of Maureen Brouillette last week and immediately fell in love as I paged through her portfolio. I can't pinpoint why I love Brouillette's work so much; the layered mixed media ode to travel is so playful and bright and slightly retro, and in her own words, "a contrast between order and chaos, analytical and intuitive, geometric and organic... a balance between reality and abstraction."


And my absolute favorite...


I recognized the subject of this piece even before seeing the title... Cadillac Ranch is a line of vintage Cadillacs, buried nose-deep Stonehenge-style in the Texas desert a few miles outside of Amarillo, completely covered in spray paint and graffiti from decades of passers by. I found Cadillac Ranch on a road trip when I was 19 (after watching, in awe, the 72-oz steak challenge at the Big Texan, also featured above) and thought I was losing my mind from the heat when I first saw it. It really is as cool as it sounds and Brouillette's work does a perfect contemporary justice to this and other iconic roadside sights of middle America.

Check out more of Brouillette's work here.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, these are epic. Very cool find, thanks for sharing. Seriously inspired by these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for introducing me to Brouillette's work! and i'm so happy to have found your lovely artwork and blog too! thank you for sharing so much beauty and inspiration!

    have a wonderful weekend!
    -juliette

    ReplyDelete