Tuesday, November 8, 2011

inspired by: olaf hajek

Maybe the best way to describe why I love illustrator Olaf Hajek's artwork is because it reminds me of a circus and a vintage botanical encyclopedia and a craaaazy dream all at once. If your taste in art is similar to mine these might blow your mind.

(You could also look at these with Lenka's "The Show" playing in the background if you want to ensure full mind-blowing potential.)

 
 

His portfolio is so extensive... Hajek has worked on everything from commissions in the New York Times to illustrations for a children's yoga book and has even designed stamps for the British Royal Mail. I would love to be able to afford a print of his artwork... I have no idea how muc710,00 € is in U.S. dollars but it looks like a lot and I'm scared to even find out. If I ever got my hands on one, I'd immediately hang above my bed so it would be the last thing I saw at night and all my dreams would be half this interesting.

5 comments:

  1. thank you for sharing these wonderful images. His work is so very interesting =]

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH my goodness these are breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you both think so! He really is an incredible & unique artist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know it might sound strange, but the last two paintings remind me of Frida Kahlo's (the way the subject stares at you? the symbolism? the flowers?)
    Anyway, they are beautiful. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie- I agree... and the unibrow ;)
    I think he was inspired by a lot of her work, especially the folksy primitive shapes with really intricate details.

    ReplyDelete