Tuesday, March 19, 2013

wonderful world

Hello! Sorry for the long absence... a lot of art has been happening in my studio recently. Last week I finished this new painting, Wonderful World, a 16" x 20" mixed media quote on canvas. It says, "We live in a wonderful world full of beauty, charm & adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open."



Finishing Wonderful World means a lot to me; it's a beautiful quote I have tried, and failed, to turn into something moving for almost three years. I'm happy to have used one of my favorite photos from my last Appalachian road trip... an unexpected cold snap occurred while I was camping alone in the Blue Ridge Mountains and I almost wanted to pack up and head South, or home, or anywhere a little warmer, but that same cold got me up at 5am, kept other tourists away and created an almost magical, frosty and sun-dappled morning with a family of deer outside my tent.


Like a lot of other paintings I sketched out the lettering for this one, mixed up some color possibilities and let it percolate in my head until it all just came together. 


The colors are decidedly spring-like and even a bit more feminine than my usual work... I'm very happy with it. The feedback many of you gave to the progress shots on my Instagram were so valuable and appreciated :)
You can see Wonderful World here on Etsy if you like - there are a few more detailed shots of the lettering and layers there.

No comments:

Post a Comment